[Zope-dev] Re: [ZPT] RFC: TALES adapters and TAL/Tales variable namespaces

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri May 21 13:56:50 EDT 2004

Evan Simpson wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> I thought you had proposed this, but I couldn't find a proposal
>> or documentation.
>>
>> You say this is implemented in Zope 2? Where is it documented?
>

> Actually, it's only implemented on evan-pathprefix-branch.  It has been
> quite a while since I had a chance to work on it, so I had forgotten
> that it was never merged, or properly documented for that matter. Pretty
> much all the information about it that isn't in the source code is in
> the ZPT list archives from August and September (e.g.
> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zpt/2003-August/004902.html)

Thanks for the pointer.

 > So, no
> worries if you decide to take a completely different direction -- it was
> never released.

I had forgotten that there was already a notion of namespaces (local and global)
and a syntax for defining variables in those namespaces.  This is very helpful.

So, we could define an "adapter" or "prefix" namespace without providing a
generalizd namespace mechanism.

I don't inderstand what motivated the special expression types for this
namespace.  For example, to get at file-system based code, couldn't you have
used the modules variable?

Jim