[Zope-dev] Re: [ZPT] Re: RFC: TALES adapters and TAL/Tales variable namespaces

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri May 21 12:20:04 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> One disadvantage I see with the cast notation is that it's
> a bit jarring in:
>
>   a/b/(adapter)c/d
>
> as the adapter is applied to a/b/c. The order just doesn't
> seem quite right.

That is indeed jarring, especially since c isn't an object, it's just a
name, and a/b/c is the object in question.  This would look somewhat
better with the current : mechanism, like a/b/c:adapter/d

My concern with this use of : was that it looked like it should be
parsed like (a/b/c):(adapter/d), as opposed to ((a/b/c):adapter)/d --
maybe using something other than : wouldn't imply this grouping.  Or
maybe if I got used to it the grouping would seem more natural.  I guess
my intuition is that / binds more closely than : (even if there isn't
any real precedence at all in TAL expressions).