[Zope-dev] RFC: Proposed backward-compatibility policy

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Oct 27 10:58:36 EDT 2004

Chris McDonough wrote:
> This sounds good.  I would add perhaps the concept of a 'smoke test'
> application for backwards compatibility testing.
>
> For Zope 2, the smoke test might be Plone or another large app written
> on top of it.
>
> Maybe someone involved in Zope 2 release management would volunteer to
> run the "smoke test app" unit tests on each proposed Zope 2 release.  If
> the unit tests didn't pass, it would block the release until the issue
> was resolved.  I think Andreas does this in a sort of ad-hoc way with
> Plone now but not sure.
>
> Same for Zope 3, I just don't know what the smoke test app would be.

I'd actually like to set up a public buildbot server somewhere that
we could automatcally test 3rd-party applications with.  We could
then test a variety of applications.  ZC doesn't really have the
human bandwidth to manage another machine in the zope.org cluster.

Would anybody be willing to run a buildbot server?  We (Fred :)
can help set it up, as we've done that here in F12g.

If we can get the server going, then we'd also need volunteers to
run buildbot slaves.

Jim