[Zope-dev] I want Zope 2.9 to use Zope 3's security architecture.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Apr 6 18:12:55 EDT 2005

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote at 2005-4-6 08:33 -0400:
>
>>I very much want Zope 2.9 to use Zope 3's security architecture.
>>Zope 3's security architecture is far more robust, but it is different
>>in some significant ways:
>

> Even small modifications to the security machinery tend to
> end up in lots of problems.
>
> The latest prominent example: the changes introduced with
> Zope 2.7.3: It took two releases (until 2.7.5) and
> more than 6 months (at least in my memory) before everything
> worked again as it should...
>
> Hopefully, such a major change will not require 4, 5, 6
> minor releases and years for stabilazation...

Hopefully not.  It depends on whether people choose to
test their application during the beta cycle or during
the release cycle.

This will be a *big* change.  Possibly, this will be
bigger than the change from 2.7 to 2.8.  I do think it
will provide significant benefits that justify the pain.
Of course, when we try it, we may find it is too painful
and we'll have to reconsider.

Jim