[Zope-dev] I want Zope 2.9 to use Zope 3's security architecture.

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Apr 7 08:47:04 EDT 2005

Richard Jones wrote:
[snip]

> Is this a general trend for Zope 2? I'd rather see Zope 2 kinda avoid ZCML if
> possible.

The Five integration philosophy at least, is that it makes use of ZCML
*possible* in Zope 2, but not at all mandatory. Five tries to mess with
the innards of Zope 2 as much as possible, because it's complicated
enough to add Zope 3 to Zope 2 already; we don't want to worry about
changing Zope 2 (or Zope 3).

Zope 2.9 has traditionally been seen as a version of Zope 2 where the
innards *will* change to integrate deeper into Zope 3. Five's philosophy
makes it impossible to do certain kinds of Zope 3 integration with Zope
2, such as security in particular. Though in fact I'm surprised how much
*is* already possible given the limitations Five has; I think that's an
interesting finding.

Anyway, you might want to give Five a spin one day. Perhaps you'll
change your mind about ZCML. Five introduces Zope 3 concepts more
gradually to the Zope 2 hacker than Zope 3 itself, so it may be less
overwhelming; Zope 3 certainly sometimes tends to overwhelm me, still.

Regards,

Martijn