[Zope-dev] To ZCML or not ;-)

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Apr 8 06:54:07 EDT 2005

Chris Withers wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
>
>> You know the feeling when a third party product has the wrong
>> permission or no permission at all on something? What are you gonna
>> do? Subclass: Lots of work. Patch: You gotta keep it updated. With
>> ZCML, you override it. TADA!
>

> Yes, this is all stuff I know and love about Z3 ;-) When I last saw
> ZCML, it was horrible though. I don't mind XML, just not if it lots of
> pointless typing...
>
> Jim suggests that ZCML has got better, I hope so, in which case I won't
> have to write an alternative that uses the same underlying
> infrastructure :-D

Since ZML is XML, creating a less verbose language may be easier to
accomplish by actually *using* the XML infrastructure, and translating
your language to ZCML.

Anyway, while I have my criticisms of ZCML, too much typing is really
not very important in my list. You can get it somewhat shorter, I'm
sure, but not *that* much shorter. I'd worry more about the reading part
than the writing.

Regards,

Martijn