[Zope-dev] RFV: Unicode in Zope 2

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Thu Dec 15 12:04:32 EST 2005

--On 15. Dezember 2005 17:55:16 +0100 Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com>
wrote:
> Hm, so it auto-decodes non-unicode strings using UTF-8? That's a bit
> dangerous, as you suppress a large class of unicode errors in the code.
> Code that creates UTF-8 strings will be silently accepted. Not as bad as
> what PTS does, at least the output of the ZPT will be unicode, but scary
> nonetheless.
>
> Do you have any impression of how compatible is your code is with
> existing large Zope 2 codebases by the way?

I would like to keep the code as strict as possible for now. When the final
implementation is ready we must test it with Plone and CPS and see what
problems will occur and how we can deal with them in a sane way (hopefully
saner than the current implementation). Otherwise we could also stick with
the current implementation :-) So there is currently no need to hurry..I
hope to finish the work in January...enough time left for testing.

-aj