[Zope-dev] zope-2.9 r40780 make install doesn't finish, files missing from bin

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Sun Dec 18 06:21:55 EST 2005

On 18 Dec 2005, at 09:40, Stefan H. Holek wrote:

> "make install" does currently not work on 2.9 branch and trunk. I
> am told that this is because "zpkg cannot do it". I am also told
> that the tarball would support make install, just not the checkout.
> I never use tarballs, so I don't know for sure.
>
> I'd very much like to see the canonical "./configure; make; make
> install" continue to work as it did in 2.7 and 2.8. Sysadmins go
> crazy if Zope's installation procedure changes with every other
> release.

Yes, I'm also severely frustrated by this change. Not just sysadmins
go crazy, it seems like a change without any good reason whatsoever.

I believe having it simplified to "./configure; make; make install"
has eliminated a ton of whining from the mailing lists from people
who (rightfully so) found the previous "wo_pcgi.py" buildout odd.
We're risking a lot of confusion and bad feelings again if "./
configure; make; make install" does not work as expected.

jens