[Zope-dev] zope-2.9 r40780 make install doesn't finish, files missing from bin

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 11:58:25 EST 2005

[Stefan H. Holek]
> "make install" does currently not work on 2.9 branch and trunk. I am
> told that this is because "zpkg cannot do it". I am also told that
> the tarball would support make install, just not the checkout. I
> never use tarballs, so I don't know for sure.

There's no longer any necessary relationship between the shape or
contents of a checkout tree and the shape or contents of a
distribution tree (tarball).  How the two relate now is defined by
input to zpkgtools, and it's possible to create multiple kinds of
distributions from the same checkout tree now (by giving zpkgtools
different input).  Plain "setup.py build" no longer necessarily works
from a checkout tree either, BTW.  This is all in line with
zpkgtools's goals:

 <http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/Zope3PackagingProposal>

I guess that the process for making a Zope3 release applies to Zope 2.9 now too:

 <http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/MakingARelease>

ZODB's release process also had to change similarly when it moved to zpkgtools.

> I'd very much like to see the canonical "./configure; make; make
> install" continue to work as it did in 2.7 and 2.8. Sysadmins go
> crazy if Zope's installation procedure changes with every other release.

Nobody should be installing from a checkout to begin with, right?  The
comfortable old dance should continue to work from a distribution.
checkout != distribution.

Arguments about zpkgtools design probably need to involve Jim.