[Zope-dev] Re: svn.zope.org borked

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Mon Dec 19 15:29:14 EST 2005

On 19 Dec 2005, at 20:02, Jim Fulton wrote:

> Rocky Burt wrote:
>> Perhaps the backend should be switched from bdb to fsfs (native
>> subversion backend type) ?  I know it does away with a lot of these,
>> "issues".
>
> Yup, when someone has time to do it.  AFAIK, it will involve
> dumping the repository and reloading it.  Past experience suggests
> that
> this will take several hours.  This involves scheduled downtime,
> testing, dealing with the inevitable misshap ....

IMHO the process is straightforward and easy (except for the time it
will take), and there is no problem reverting to the previous state:

- run svnadmin dump on the old repository
- move the old repository aside
- create a new repository with fsfs backend
- run svnadmin load to load the data into the new repository

At no point would any data be in danger. The problem I see on the
current box is hard drive space. I'm not sure the remaining space is
enough to hold a complete dump *and* the new repository along with
the old one.

jens