[Zope-dev] [RfC] Removal of old stuff in Zope 2.10

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Tue Dec 20 01:52:02 EST 2005

Hi,

for next release we plan to replace several parts with the corresponding
components from Zope 3 (e.g. ZPT´). Philipp is working on a proposal on
that issue. In addition I would like to get rid of some old stuff that is
no longer maintained and buggy:

 - ZopeTutorial (could be ripped off without implications and made available
   for download on zope.org)

 - HelpSys - from a programmers view pretty much useless and not very
   helpful. I consider to replace it with something more useful (not sure
   we can re-use apidoc from Zope 3 in some way, perhaps the inclusion
   of Dieter's Docfinder might be more useful for programmers)

 - Gadfly(DA) - do we really need this? We discussed this already. In my
   opinion the purpose of Gadfly is only educational but nothing that one
   really needs or uses for production. It could be removed and made
   available for download on zope.org.

And my favourite enemy in Zope: ZClasses :-) I would like to mark them
_clearly_ as an obsolete feature (DeprecationWarning, Warnings in the ZMI
and the Zope Book). I _don't_ propose to remove them at some point but ppl
should be aware that they are using one of the most-scary components in
Zope (please no further discussion about the pros and cons of
ZClasses..this discussion took already place already a bunch of times on
the list).

-aj