[Zope-dev] [RfC] Removal of old stuff in Zope 2.10

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Dec 20 13:24:32 EST 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 12:27:41PM -0500, Chris McDonough wrote:
> I agree it would be helpful to have the
> info that's currently in the helpsystem for builtin Zope products be
> available somewhere else, though.

I'm OK in principle with moving this stuff "somewhere else",
and with properly deprecating context.registerHelp(), but we do need a
replacement strategy, and I don't agree that we can simply drop support
for help in third-party products.  It's not just builtin products that
are affected.

I also think that keeping it online is a good thing.  It's very
convenient and you don't have to worry about e.g. linux distributions
getting funny with where they decide to place things like bundled
documentation files, or free/budget zope hosting plans where you may not
even have ready access to the filesystem.

Maybe if we don't want to bundle them, we could host them in a versioned
hierarchy on zope.org, like the way old versions of Python docs are
always available on python.org.  Of course, that puts some pressure on
zope.org to be up and responsive all the time... that's another topic
;-P

btw, I don't think we should keep shoe-horning the API docs and
online user docs into the same UI. It doesn't feel like a good
fit in the current system.  Maybe the current "Help!" link should point
only to user docs, and there should be a separate link to the new
Interface docs?

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com