[Zope-dev] [RfC] Removal of old stuff in Zope 2.10

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Dec 20 14:27:18 EST 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:13:18PM +0100, Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On 20. Dezember 2005 13:32:02 -0500 Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 01:24:32PM -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> >>Maybe if we don't want to bundle them, we could host them in a versioned
> >>hierarchy on zope.org, like the way old versions of Python docs are
> >>always available on python.org.
> >
> >... which, duh, doesn't handle help for third-party products.
> >So this is a non-solution.
>

> I mentioned already Apidoc from Z3.

OK, but as I keep saying, that only covers half of the problem.

> One way would be to move the API
> descriptions of the Zope code into interface files (I don't know how much
> code in Zope has no interfaces so far...

I have no idea, but there are already quite a lot of z3 interfaces
in zope 2.9.

> As far as I can see Apidoc in Z3 gets its
> information from the registered components and their interfaces. Possibly we
> could replace the registration of a product with the HelpSys with *some*
> registry which might be used by Apidoc (Apidoc looks very generic).
> *Possibly* we could register the STX file with this registry as well....

ok... but as I said, I'm also wondering if help stx files should go
in some parallel tree and not be mixed up with API docs at all.
But maybe we could still leverage Apidoc for this tree somehow?
I'm totally hand-waving here...

just to be clear, the stuff I'm talking about is ZMI user interface
docs, not programmer docs.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com