[Zope-dev] What use cases are driving "make install" from a checkout?

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leo at hiper.com.br
Wed Dec 21 15:29:44 EST 2005

Just as a data point.

A lot of autoconf projects (the ones that made "./configure; make; make
install" famous) don't just run like that from a checkout, but they are
never more than 2 steps away from that.

The process for a checkout is usually more like
"./autoconf; ./automake; ./configure; make; make install"

My point is: I don't think there's anything wrong in the install
procedure being different between the checkout and the tarball, but it
should never take more than a couple of fixed (and documented) steps to
convert a checkout to a tarball-equivalent environment, where
"./configure; make; make install" would work.

Cheers, Leo.