[Zope-dev] zope-2.9 r40780 make install doesn't finish, files missing from bin

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Dec 22 06:06:09 EST 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:
> Who has the knowledge and time to fix this?

I think we need to have some philosophical agreement on what is going to
be done before we figure out who has time to "fix" this. I think the
issue is a bit deeper than just a bug people want fix, even though it
presents itself that way.

The requirements that zpkg tries to fulfill, primarily multiple
distributions from the same repository, have given us this situation.
Perhaps we should revisit zpkg and add the requirement that the state of
the repository should be as similar as possible to that of at least
*one* of those distributions, and see what happens to its design.

Fixing this should be part of the Zope 2.10 cycle, hopefully.

I can interpret your question another way, as a count against zpkg: zpkg
is so peculiar to Zope that even most Zope core developers don't know
how to fix this. That sucks and in my book is a very serious negative
point against zpkg. The simplicity of "repository *is* distribution" has
a very important benefit in its favor there, as that's trivial to
understand.

Regards,

Martijn