[Zope-dev] zope-2.9 r40780 make install doesn't finish, files missing from bin

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Dec 22 11:48:10 EST 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I'll note, FWIW, that we don't do installs from Zope 3 checkouts.
>

> Yes, this is understood.
>
>> I think it's worth asking whether this is an important requirement.
>

> Perhaps more generally, how important is it that the repository reflects
> the released version of the software, and how close can we get?

It was not a goal for Zope 3.  I have often wondered if it should be.

 > First
> we'd need to agree on at least the principle that a checkout is ideally
> equivalent to a kind of 'sumo release' of Zope that includes everything,
> and builds as such, and acts like such a release.

Right.  I don't have an opinion.  I'd be interested to hear from
others.

> I realize that reaching such a point practically may be hard,

Maybe, don't know.  I'll note that, at lease for Zope 3, I'd like
to put a lot of this on the table.  I'd like to revisit how we package
and collect things, both for releases and for checkouts.

 > just wondering if we can at least get some agreement on the ideal situation.

That would be a good starting point.

>> If it is, then we should make it work.  Question is, is it worth
>> delaying the release?  I don't know.
>

> It's not worth delaying the release, if at least in the release the
> dance continues to work, which I understand it does (and certainly did
> for the beta).
>
> I do think it's important though, but nothing is worth delaying the
> release and I expect fixing this would shake up things.

Are other OK with this approach?

>> If we did stay with the current situation, we'd need to cleanup the
>> documentation so that a developer can easily reminder herself
>> what she can do and how to do it.
>

> Yes, an obscure error is not very helpful, and I already know of several
> people who ran into it independently.

Including me. I even submitted a collector issue. :)

 > Now there's this thread that
> people can find, but that won't be the case in the future...
>
> It'd be best the error message was a bit more clear, if at all possible,
> though I can imagine reaching that would also be hard. People won't be
> looking into the docs very quickly when they run into an obscure error,
> as this works with a release and you'd expect it to work with a checkout
> too -- this is an expectation people get from other projects.

My suggestion is to have different README and INSTALL files for the checkout
that tell people what they can do and how to do it and to change the
install target to simply tell people that install isn't currently
supported in a checkout and to read the appropriate text files.

Jim