[Zope-dev] Re: Renamed the Zope package to Zope2 and including Zope 3 packages in Zope 2.8

Christian Heimes heimes at faho.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Feb 2 02:02:20 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Originally, I had intended not to include any Zope 3 packages until
> Zope 2.9, however, Zope 2.8 has been delayed long enough that I think
> it makes sense to include some parts of Zope 3 sooner.  I also want
> to use some of the Zope 3 persistent code support, which depends on
> zope.interface to help get ZClasses working again.  I haven't decided
> which parts of Zope 3 should be included in Zope 2.8 and would like to
> get input.  If you have suggestions on what to include or exclude,
> please respond here or on the z3-file list, where I am also posting
> this message.

Zope 2.8 should be shipped with all stuff required for Five + some nice
gimmicks like the import* helpers from utilities/.

zope.interface - Zope3 interfaces are much better than the zope2 stuff
zope.component - important for five
zope.i18n + zope.i18nmessage - especially the l10n is very useful, also
gotcha is working on a way to translate MessageIds in Zope2's
ZPublisher. See PlacelessTranslationService Z3MsgId branch (I can't
remember the excact name)
zope.configuration - zcml is nice
zope.importtool - for importtool and importorder, please also include
importchecker in ZOPE_HOME/bin. I like it :)
zope.schema

These modules are easy to add w/o shipping Zope2 with a full
installation of Zope3. Much harder but even useful are modules from
zope.app like adapter, apidoc, event or the widget stuff for zope.schema.

Personally zope.interface and zope.component are the most important and
also useful thing I would like to see in Zope2.

Christian