[Zope-dev] Renamed the Zope package to Zope2 and including Zope 3 packages in Zope 2.8

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Feb 2 06:35:18 EST 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 February 2005 05:28, Chris Withers wrote:
>
>>Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>
>>>That's only to make things more easily deployable. Right now the hard
>>>part is however detaching Zope 3 stuff from its dependencies
>>
>>Really? That's extremely disappointing :-(
>>The most important aim of Zope 3 from my POV was to be able to use as
>>little or as much of it as you want, not suffer dependency hell as we do
>>in Zope 2...
>
> Yes, that is true for packages in zope. However, zope.app was designed as the
> application server and has thus many dependencies among the packages in
> zope.app.

It's not entirely true for packages in zope either. If you try to
extract one you'll likely pull in quite a few others. Detaching the
dependencies is however easier.

Five has dependencies on zope.app, so to make Five use Zope 2.8 packages
would require quite a bit of Zope 3 to be pulled in, or an awful lot of
work to prevent it from being pulled in. Presumably only a few packages
will be pulled into Zope 2.8 in practice, which means that Five will
have to worry about packages from Zope 2.8 and packages from Zope X3
proper, and possible weird combinations and interactions. Not something
I'm looking forward to.

I wanted this (Zope 3 integration into Zope 2.x) about a year ago, but
by now, with the gained experience I have with Five, it seems a lot more
trouble than it's worth.

> Note that the srichter-blow-services branch will bring great relief
> to some of these dependencies. registration, component and site used to have
> circular imports, but in the branch they all have been merged into
> zope.app.component, with each module being independent of the others. For
> example, the registration code does not depend on the local site manager
> code.

Cool. If however that branch will have to be merged before we can use
Zope 3 technology in Zope 2, Zope 2.8 will be even more delayed. :)

Regards,

Martijn