[Zope-dev] Renamed the Zope package to Zope2 and including Zope 3 packages in Zope 2.8

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Feb 3 10:11:27 EST 2005

Chris Withers wrote:
> Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>> Yes, that is true for packages in zope.
>

> So, if I understand you correctly, I can use all packages, except those
> in zope.app, on their own, without having to rely on anything else, right?

No, but we try to restrict dependencies as much as possible.
The fact that these are generally useful means that they wre someone
likely to depend on each other.  For example, zope.interface is obviously
widely used. The zope.testing package is also widely used.

>> However, zope.app was designed as the application server and has thus
>> many dependencies among the packages in zope.app.
>

> Hmmm, that's a shame, there's a lot of things in
> http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/app/ that look, by name, like I
> might want to use them without using other stuff: catalog, cache,
> authentication, apidoc, etc.

When we are initially developing something, it's hard to know whether
it will be generaly useful.  We try very hard to avoid premature
generalization.  We also have a rule that anything that depends on
zope.app must be in zope.app.  The plan and expectation is that, over time,
many packages will migrate out of zope.app.  I expect that, eventually,
zope.app will be much smaller than it is now.  That shrinkage will happen over
time has people have motivation and time.

> That said, is it just me or do
> http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/app/ and
> http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/ look like there's a LOT of
> stuff in them?

Yup, we've done a lot of work.

> How much of it is "real" and how much of it is cruft?

There is certainly cruft there, but we've trie dto keep the
cruft/real ratio low.

Jim