[Zope-Coders] ZClass problem in 2.8 (Was: Re: [Zope-dev] Upcoming Zope 2.8 release)

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Tue Jun 7 02:42:19 EDT 2005

--On 7. Juni 2005 16:10:55 +1000 Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au>
wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 14:27, Andreas Jung wrote:
>> This is likely a task for Jim. I don't have any about ZClasses (and I
>> won't them). If necessary this problem might be fixed in a later
>> release. This problem is not as serious as I could hold up the final 2.8
>> release. This release has to go out now.
>
> Are working ZClasses no longer a requirement for Zope? (This is not a
> flame, just a question). There's plenty of people out there with
> ZClass-based  products, so if 2.8 is going to ship with broken ZClass,
> there should  probably be a reasonably prominent warning in the release
> notes about this.

According to Jim ZClasses are working. A possibly isolated bug in ZClasses
is bad but there are in general lots of such bugs in  Zope. So this is not
a release stopper for me now. We have discussed ZClasses already and about
how ZClasses can be maintained in the future. Since I see little commitment
to ZClasses (except from Jim) ZClasses are not really a blocker for *this*
2.8.0 release. We defered this release already a bunch of times and it is
now time to get 2.8.0 with Five and MVCC support to people. This is much,
much more important for Zope than having to care about ZClasses. People can
stick with Zope 2.7 if there is a problem for them with ZClasses in the
hope that someone fixes outstanding ZClasses in a further 2.8 release. I
don't care getting some beatings for  my opinon that ZClasses are a neat
ancient toy but not the tool of choice for nowadays Zope applications. We
need a strong ZODB with MVCC and we need Five to bridge the world to Zope
3. And therefore ZClasses are absolutely not a reason to block the 2.8.0
release.

-aj