[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Clarification re: Zope X3.1, 2.8

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Mar 18 13:07:07 EST 2005

>   - The Z3 developers will have *no* extra burden or
>     responsibility to support X3.0 beyond what they
>     would normally do in the normal course of maintaining
>     it for Z3-only applications. In other words, it is not
>     the responsibility of Z3 devs to make sure Z2 tests
>     pass, etc.
>
>   - It *will be* the responsibility of the Zope 2 devs to
>     make sure Z2 works with the version of Z3 bundled at the
>     time.

I assume these caveats are spelled out here because Z3 developers don't
want to slow down Z3 development to test/maintain Z2 compatibility.  I
know a lot about Z2 code, but I know very little about Z3 code.  I'd
like that to change, but it's likely that I'll just not have the
bandwidth to make sure Z3-inside-Z2 works.  If that just means I can't
use Z3 features but nothing else breaks, it's probably fine, but if Z3
integration actively breaks Z2, it's likely I'll just need for some
extended period of time to continue to use and maintain 2.7.

It'd be great if active Z3 developers could actually help make new
releases of Z2 once Five is integrated but the above makes it sound like
a "we'll throw it over the wall and you make it work" sort of thing.  If
it's the latter, maybe as devil's advocate, I need to ask what the point
is here?

It appears there is an assumption that merging Z2 and Z3 code within Z2
itself is an unmitigated good thing, but IMHO, each is complicated
enough in their own right that I'd personally prefer to be dealing with
one or the other at any given time and not both.  This isn't exactly
idle whining either, I need to do this when I maintain Z4I code, and
it's definitely not a walk in the park; it's moderately difficult to do
and also difficult find people who have the skills to help too.

Does anyone else share this skepticism or am I about to get shouted
down? ;-)

- C