[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Clarification re: Zope X3.1, 2.8

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Fri Mar 18 13:19:49 EST 2005

>>   - It *will be* the responsibility of the Zope 2 devs to
>>     make sure Z2 works with the version of Z3 bundled at the
>>     time.
<snip>

> It'd be great if active Z3 developers could actually help make new
> releases of Z2 once Five is integrated but the above makes it sound
> like
> a "we'll throw it over the wall and you make it work" sort of thing.
> If
> it's the latter, maybe as devil's advocate, I need to ask what the
> point
> is here?

It came across the same way for me. Not only "we Z3 people will go
along on our merry way, let the Z2 people deal with the problems", it's
also about bundling a version of Z3 that is apparently not within the
Z3 developers' path anymore (at least from the description).

I didn't answer until I read Chris' post because I work on CMF when I
work on Zope, so I don't do much as far as checkins to Zope goes. He
says what I only thought, and I had the same thing in the back of my
mind: If this becomes an obstacle I just won't touch it anymore.

Yes, I will get into Z3 at some point myself, but preferably at a time
of my own choosing...

> It appears there is an assumption that merging Z2 and Z3 code within Z2
> itself is an unmitigated good thing, but IMHO, each is complicated
> enough in their own right that I'd personally prefer to be dealing with
> one or the other at any given time and not both.  This isn't exactly
> idle whining either, I need to do this when I maintain Z4I code, and
> it's definitely not a walk in the park; it's moderately difficult to do
> and also difficult find people who have the skills to help too.

Right on. Now, I have no idea how similar or different the Z3-Z2
marriage in 2.8 is to that unholy alliance that is used for Z4I, but
working on it for Z4I is an exercise in frustration every time I had to
do it.

jens