[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Clarification re: Zope X3.1, 2.8

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Mar 23 04:29:10 EST 2005

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
[snip]
>> It appears there is an assumption that merging Z2 and Z3 code within Z2
>> itself is an unmitigated good thing, but IMHO, each is complicated
>> enough in their own right that I'd personally prefer to be dealing with
>> one or the other at any given time and not both.  This isn't exactly
>> idle whining either, I need to do this when I maintain Z4I code, and
>> it's definitely not a walk in the park; it's moderately difficult to do
>> and also difficult find people who have the skills to help too.
>

> Right on. Now, I have no idea how similar or different the Z3-Z2
> marriage in 2.8 is to that unholy alliance that is used for Z4I, but
> working on it for Z4I is an exercise in frustration every time I had to
> do it.

If Z4I uses the Zope 2 -> Zope 3 interfaces compatibility package, then
it's quite different. Let's just put it this way; I don't know anything
about Z4I beyond the existence of this interface package, which is
something I didn't like and didn't use in Five. The two technologies
therefore appear quite distinct..

You can try Five with Zope 2.7 by downloading it, putting Zope X3.0's
code on the python path, and starting Zope. We've already used Five in
Zope 2.7, in a Silva, CPS and Plone context. These are complicated Zope
2 applications, and with Five installed, they remain working as before.

Regards,

Martijn