[Zope-dev] Re: Clarification re: Zope X3.1, 2.8

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 18:12:51 EST 2005

[Tres]
> I'll have to take your word for that;  are you saying that
> 'svn:external' doesn't work by default in the windows SVN clients?

Crossed in the mail; no problem here.

> OK, that works for me.  AFAIK, the branch should be ready to merge
> "whenever";  all the recent work on it has been to merge fixes which had
> already been applied on the trunk.  How does this sound for a recipe:
>
>  - ReleaseMaker merges the 'five-integration' branch to the trunk, and
>    tests it.

Check.

>  - ZODBGuru uses 'svn rm' to zap the current ZODB on the trunk,
>    replacing it with an 'svn:external' link to your ZODB 3.4 tag; and
>    then tests it (could be an 'svn cp', but I don't see any benefit to
>    maintaining a Zope-specific fork).

My problem.  It will certainly be done via 9 "svn switch"s on my local
machine first.  As explained elsewhere, there are several other
possible sources of integration problems here, and I can't know about
those before actually trying it.  It's possible, e.g., that I'll need
to change ZODB 3.4 to worm around them, or switch ZODB to using a
different ZConfig, etc.  Can't predict here.

>  - ReleaseMaker updates changelog, version.txt, etc. and checks in.

Check.

>  - ReleaseMaker uses 'svn cp' to create the release tag for Zope 2.8a2
>    (whatever it is being called).

Check.

> The goal for that branch was to do *only* stuff which had to do with
> landing Five / ZopeX3.0;  no other changes were supposed to land there.
> Any non-Five-specific work was supposed to happen on the trunk.

Crossed in the mail again; I confirmed this is so for the zdaemon,
ZConfig and nine ZODB directories.

Just ran the five-integration branch tests on Windows.  Two failures,
which are repeats of longstanding trunk failures on Windows:

    http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1728