[Zope-dev] Re: Clarification re: Zope X3.1, 2.8 -> svn usage

Wolfgang Langner wl at flexis.de
Thu Mar 31 03:05:14 EST 2005

Hello,

Tres Seaver wrote:

> When you use 'svn:externals', the referenced package itself is *not*
> part of the containing checkout;  it is managed separately by the svn
> client (sort of like ESI and page fragments).

Yes this is true. But the differences between svn:externals and a copy are not
so big. (the user nearly gets the same)
With both you can get enough trouble. Even with svn:externals it's possible
that someone checks something in to a tagged version.
Subversion misses the feature to make tags read only and thats what you need
in both cases.

> Tim points out that there are a number of these external dependencies,
> including ZConfig and zdaemon, which are not directly part of ZODB
> either:  it depends on them in the same way that Zope depends on ZODB.

My company uses subversion extensively, we have one rule:

If we are in the same repository, we try to make a copy.
If we have to different repositories and there are dependencies,
we use svn:externals.

Because there is one big Problem with svn:externals:

If the repository is closed source and not available over Internet
it is not possible to work at home with ssh checkouts.

Hope this helps a little bit.

bye by Wolfgang