[Zope-dev] Clarification re: Zope X3.1, 2.8

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Mar 31 07:49:08 EST 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Tim Peters wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> get_transaction() is more troublesome than _just_ that, alas:  there
>> are about 160 instances of it across the stitched-in lib/python/zope,
>> and Products/Five, code.  This causes lots of new deprecation warnings
>> when running the tests.  These are easy to repair with 1-2 hours easy
>> editing work, but again Zope trunk doesn't own the lib/python/zope
>> code (where almost all of these appear).
>

> Right, lib/python/zope is actually Zope X3.0.0, and we didn't expect
> we'd need to *update* Zope X3.0 in order for it to work with Zope 2.8.
> The new ZODB version is having some repercussions there. Zope X3.0 was
> released against an older version of ZODB. I'm really at a loss at what
> to do there.

Perhaps we should make a X3.0.1.  This is fairly long overdue
anyway.

Alternatively, we could make a branch for use in 2.8.  I don't
think this would really be a problem.

 > I can spend time trying to shut up Zope X3 I guess, if that
> is the only option...

I think this is the best option.

 > What is the recipe of changing get_transaction(),
> is this documented somewhere?

It should be documented in the deprecation warning.

Basically, rather than:

   get_transaction().commit()

you should:

   import transaction