[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.8 on hold

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat May 7 15:41:28 EDT 2005

[Andreas Jung]
>>> At least the following are important (besides the problem with the
>>> Winbuilder)

[Tim Peters]
>> What WinBuilders problem?  I keep hearing there's "a problem" there,
>> but don't know what it is -- and I had no problem using WinBuilders
>> for Zope 2.8.

[Andreas]
> I know only that Christian had problems (according to his posting some
> days ago). I can not comment and can not value these issues. But there
> seems to be something.

If you're talking about his posts to this list, those were all
addressed some time ago, and all the problems in Zope 2.8's setup.py
he was hitting have been repaired.  If Christian still has problems, I
haven't seen anything about them (neither on this list nor anywhere
else).

>> Note that these two aren't about Zope 2.8, they're about Zope 2.7.6:
>>
>> > http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1763
>> > http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1711
>>
>> Both appear to be due to that Zope 2.7.6 on Windows shipped with a
>> wrong (too old) version of pywin32, and continued to repackage pywin32
>> in the old (certifiably insane <0.7 wink>) "flat" way.
>>
>> Mark Hammond submitted patches to install a correct version of
>> pywin32, and in a correct way.  Those patches were incorporated into
>> WinBuilders, so it's hard to understand how Zope 2.7.6 on Windows got
>> built the way it did.  Can only guess the installer was built using an
>> out-of-date WinBuilders checkout, with an out-of-date pywin32, applied
>> to an up-to-date Zope checkout.

> Christian should know...as I said...I have no idea about how this
> windows stuff works and what it does...so I depend on the competence of
> you windows guys :-)

It would help if Christian said something <wink>.

I'm not sure the point of the above got across:  the subject of this
thread is "Zope 2.8 on hold", but the two issues identified above are
not Zope 2.8 issues.  They're Zope 2.7.6 issues.  Zope 2.8 shouldn't
have any problem with those.  Zope-2.7.6-final-win32.exe from zope.org
has those problems; they're not holding up 2.8.