[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source code repository

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Wed Nov 23 19:09:54 EST 2005

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 18:49, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> People keep telling Zope2 developers that the inclusion of Zope3
> doesn't mean you have to touch it, if you don't use it it is just
> inert code that won't cause any change in your Zope2 development
> style. Ok, I accept that, no problem at all. But why should this be
> any different for Zope3 developers, obviously including Zope2 code
> would mean exactly the same thing for them. Come on now.

Personally, I have never advocated inserting Zope 3 into Zope 2. Some people
really wanted Zope 3 in Zope 2, so that they could use the new technology. So
they added it. That's fine by me. But if they then turn around and say, "Look
we have Zope 3 in Zope 2, so you should also have Zope 2 in Zope 3.", then I
am complaining loudly, because I do not want to have anything to do with Zope
2. And it just means that I am becoming a Zope 2 developer again. Forget
that! I'd rather fork Zope 3, then work on a version that has Zope 2 in it.
It is just too much overhead for me to know all the involved technologies
(Zope 2 and Five). I have barely time to keep up with Zope 3 and stay on top
of it.

Regards,
Stephan
--