[Zope-dev] RE: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source coderepository

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Thu Nov 24 03:57:42 EST 2005

Hi Philipp

[...]
> Stephan Richter wrote:
> > I totally disagree. I, as a Zope 3 developer, have to learn
> Zope 2 and Five.
>
> What makes you think so? I, for one, have not the slightest
> clue of how zope.wfmc works.
> Still I'm able to contribute to Zope 3, am I not? If I
> refactor something, I might even
> have to touch zope.wfmc, but for the most part this could be
> very superficial.

That's not true. E.g. if you register interfaces with bad
docstrings, you will break the zope.app.apidoc package functional
tests or other wrong registrations will fail in broken links etc.

I think it's not that easy and functional tests will become a
hard part to maintain in the future if we mix both framework.

> And if
> not, I have some trusty community members who can help me on a branch.

That's excatly what we don't whant. We are not able to develope
and ask others for fixes. This whon't work.

Btw, what's next.
Do we have to merge CMF, Plone and CPS also into the core
only because other whon't be able to develop with otherwise.

Common, if somebody is not able to install Zope3, Zope2 and Five,
I dont' think he will be able to help. I'm really afraid about the
idea if a merge will be the part where developer bring to the Zope3
core development.

Btw, I can't here reasons like that. Every half year there is another
reason what we should do for Zope2 developer so that they will
contribute more. I think you don't speak for all of them and belive that
a good skilled developer is able to get ver easy into the Zope3 development.

Do you really think it's easier for Zope2 developer to get into Zope3
only because the code lives in the same repsoitory. You draw the
picture a little bit to easy. I think if somebody will become a Zope3
developer he has to learn the totly new framework first. And not only
download the code.

Regards
Roger Ineichen