[Zope-dev] What from zope.app are you using

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Apr 5 13:39:45 EDT 2006

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 4/5/06, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
>> I would like to know what other zope.app packages your 3rd party
>> software is using.
>
> Well, CMFonFive uses zope.app.publisher.browser, because that's where
> the menus hang.

Menu support will be moved to zope.menu.

> CPS uses zope.app.container for the container events and the IAdding
> interface all over the place.

Container support will be moved to zope.container once I figure out how
to sanely deal with existing pickles.

Is anyone in Zope 2 persisting zope.app.container.btree.BTreeContainer,
zope.app.container.ordered.OrderedContainern or using the contained
proxy (which is also persistent)?

> CPSMailAccess uses zope.app.cache, zope.app.dublincore,
> zope.app.copypastemove, and of course zope.app.mail.

I've added these four to my list. They'll appear in an updated version
of the proposal. I propose to move them all down to zope.* as they are
(zope.app.mail should probably be called zope.sendmail). They're all not
very complicated cases except zope.app.cache which has zope.app.form
dependencies.

I'd be glad if you could help me with moving them. I'm working on the
jim-adapter branch. Straight moves usually just entail

1. svn mv'ing the directory
2. fixing up imports inside and outside the package
3. running the tests
3. providing BBB (I'm still figuring out a good way to do this w/o
getting in circular import troubles)

> (And also zope.app.pagetemplate and
> zope.app.publisher.browser.BrowserView but I suspect those are special
> hacks or something, that may be avoidable now, Tarek might know more.)

BrowserView will move to zope.publisher.browser. I haven't really made
up my mind about zope.app.pagetemplate yet. Some use cases might be
helpful. I'm also very much open for suggestions and, of course, for
help :). The proposal still isn't finished regarding many important
details. I myself am not sure what to do with some of the packages or
the things we need from some packages.

> And we use zope.app.testing a lot, which you suggested not to move if
> I understand you correctly.

Indeed. What from zope.app.testing are you using? If it's
PlacelessSetup, I bet it's not needed (on Zope >2.9 that is). If you
need Component Architecture setup and teardown, use zope.component.testing.

Philipp