[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.9.3 release

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Apr 19 16:07:09 EDT 2006

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Andreas Jung wrote:
>>>
>>> --On 19. April 2006 15:30:44 -0400 Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com>

>>> Do you say that we introduced an incompatibility in 2.9.2?
>
> Yes.  The change was introduced in Five 1.3.3, revision 66191:
>
>   http://svn.zope.org/Products.Five/branches/1.3/?rev=66191&view=rev
>
> The discussion on the list of the "fix" didn't take into account all the
> usage patterns.

Some people with certain usage patterns participated in the discussion
and adjusted their applications. The "fix" was under discussion for
quite some time before it was put into a release.

> I would vote to delay a release until we find a way to restore the
> broken functionality.  Could we perhaps provide an alternate
> implementation with the original lookup order, and make it pluggable?

Yes, we could perhaps make it pluggable. Then again, the rationale
behind the fix is that Zope 2 traversal (regarding views) should
essentially be very much like Zope 3 traversal. The fix guarantees that.
One could argue that an application relying on the opposite behaviour is
relying on undocumented and essentially unexpected behaviour.

Philipp