[Zope-dev] Re: Re: favicon.ico for 2.10?

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at suttoncourtenay.org.uk
Tue Apr 25 04:56:32 EDT 2006

Chris McDonough wrote:

> There's a nice little Mac freeware app named IcoMaker for
> creating .ico files from GIF files.  .ico files are actually
> containers for various icon sizes and color depths and this app
> allows you to create an .ico file out of up to six sizes/depths.  I
> stole the favico from zope.org and made one using IcoMaker with a
> single size/depth (16x16/16colors).  It's attached.  I haven't tried
> it in IE.  If it doesn't work for whatever reason, maybe someone else
> who has more icon-foo can do a more thorough job.

That one works, at least in those cases where IE is displaying the icon at
16x16. Some higher resolution images in the file would be useful though for
situations where it decides to display larger icons, otherwise it looks
pretty blocky.

So far I've found at least 4 different icon sizes used in IE and one
outside. From smallest to largest: address bar and favourites toolbar are
smallest (1), the links toolbar uses a larger icon (2), favourite
properties has the icon on two tabs in different sizes 'web document' (3)
and 'General' (4). And of course IE's favourites are actually just a
folder, so you need a suitable icon for Explorer's icon view (5).

I haven't measured these, but I would guess the sizes I saw were 16, 24,
32, 48, and 64 pixels.

There's an icon maker at http://favicon.ru/en/ which will do 16,32 and 48
pixel images online, but I don't have a decent starting image.