[Zope-dev] Branches finished for merging.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 18:17:18 EDT 2006

On 4/26/06, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
> What are the possible risks of those changes? What is the goal of this
> branch? Integration as an optional feature or replacement of
> ZPublisher/ZServer?

The direct goal of this is to make it more pluggable, so that we can
introduce twisted or zope.publisher as alternatives. Twisted, so that
we can write new servers for Zope2, and zope.publisher, so that we can
closer to the goal of being able to run both Zope3 and Zope2 software
under the same server.

The long term goal is to replace ZServer/ZPublisher with whatever
Zope3 uses, which at that point in time most likely will be
twisted/zope.publisher, to tighten the Z2/Z3 integration, and reduce
the amount of code we need to maintain.

The risks is that somehow we introduce some subtle behavioural change
that isn't tested for.

The traversal refactoring means that the role checking is now done
after each traversal step, instead of intermingled with it. The
functionality should be the same, but perhaps there is some untested
special case when it changes. We have had much larger incompatibility
changes in earlier major releases though.

The WSGI refactoring may mean that somebody using internal features of
ZServer might need to change something. Also it means that what the
publish_module() method expect as parameters will change.