[Zope-dev] Branches finished for merging.

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Thu Apr 27 02:03:39 EDT 2006

--On 27. April 2006 00:17:18 +0200 Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 4/26/06, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
>> What are the possible risks of those changes? What is the goal of this
>> branch? Integration as an optional feature or replacement of
>> ZPublisher/ZServer?
>
> The direct goal of this is to make it more pluggable, so that we can
> introduce twisted or zope.publisher as alternatives. Twisted, so that
> we can write new servers for Zope2, and zope.publisher, so that we can
> closer to the goal of being able to run both Zope3 and Zope2 software
> under the same server.

That's fine

> The long term goal is to replace ZServer/ZPublisher with whatever
> Zope3 uses, which at that point in time most likely will be
> twisted/zope.publisher, to tighten the Z2/Z3 integration, and reduce
> the amount of code we need to maintain.

Getting rid of ZServer is a fine goal but as long as Twisted is much slower
(from what I've heard) ZServer has to stay (ZServer is not subject to be
deprecated at this time).

> The risks is that somehow we introduce some subtle behavioural change
> that isn't tested for.

I would love to see the stuff tested with the major frameworks (CMF 2,
Plone + CPS) before it will be merged into the trunk.

> The traversal refactoring means that the role checking is now done
> after each traversal step, instead of intermingled with it. The
> functionality should be the same, but perhaps there is some untested
> special case when it changes. We have had much larger incompatibility
> changes in earlier major releases though.
>
> The WSGI refactoring may mean that somebody using internal features of
> ZServer might need to change something. Also it means that what the
> publish_module() method expect as parameters will change.

I have no problems with the traversal refactoring..that sound sane.

-aj

Web: www.zopyx.com - Email: info at zopyx.com - Phone +49 - 7071 - 793376