[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Pluggins vs Application Definition

Rocky Burt rocky at serverzen.com
Tue Feb 14 06:55:21 EST 2006

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Saturday 11 February 2006 16:50, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>- Application developers need to build an application.  They will
>>   generally want fairly tight control over what goes into the
>>   application.  For them, it's valuable to say in an explicit
>>   way what they want.
>>
>>- If the application is extensible, then application users
>>   will want to be able to extend the application by adding
>>   "pluggins".  If application users are not technically
>>   sophisticated, or, more importantly, not technically interested,
>>   they peobably would prefer to just drop something into a special
>>   directory and be done with it.
>>
>>In summary, I think we need *both* approaches, as they serve different
>>needs.
>

> This is interesting. I agree with Philipp though that a simple install tool
> would be better than one magic location. I think the ZCML slugs are very cool
> and if we have a tool (as "make" does now) that does this one step, then we
> effectively have drop-in packages. BTW, I think that a tool is also better,
> because it would allow us to keep track of the installed packages and do
> dependency checking, package-db maintenance, etc. Just randomly thinking...

I also think an install script is a good way of facading the actual
process.  In fact for my pythonproducts product (allows one to use
python packages as zope2 products without the Products directory) I was
considering providing a py script to do this for zope2 products.  Zope 2
developers see zcml slugs and say, "what, things have gotten harder
going to zope3?".

- Rocky

--
Rocky Burt