[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-dev] Two visions

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 11:40:12 EST 2006

On 2/28/06, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> Zope 2 is more mature than Zope 3 in a lot of areas.  WebDAV
> and process management are a couple of examples that occur to me
> off the top of my head.

Ah, and here I got an answer to the question I just posted. :)

Much of Zope2 maturity is there in a thorougly non-reusable way. We
won't get WebDAV support for Zope3 objects by including some old
crufty Zope2 code. This means that for most of these features, we will
have to build something new anyway.

> > This overwhelms my complexity sensor. :-)
>
> Sorry, I'm not sure why.

Not the text, the result. :)
Zope2 + Zope3 + Five is a MASSIVE complexity, and I think it is
important that we don't make things more complex than necessary. I
think the best vision for the Zope future is to have:

1. A set of basic non-webby techniques. This is ZODB, zope.interfaces,
zope.components and all that.

2. An object publisher, that publishes the ZODB objects built with the
techniques in point 1, including user handling, security, traversal,
yadayadaydad. This would be known as Zope3.

3. An extension to Zope3 that includes the shim to support two modules
called "Products", all the old default products, and the support to
make the Zope3 publisher publish these type of objects.
In other words, a Zope2 backwards compatibility product. The steps to
get here involves stuff like replacing Zope2s security with Zope3
security, replacing Zope2s publisher with Zope3s publisher, and so on,
until Zope2 is almost nothing more than a set of products.

4. Other extension sets for Zope3, like z3ecm, for making ecm systems,
and z3ttw for through-the-web development.

Now, there may be something that is obviously unfeasable with all
this. But it sure is much less overwhelmingly complex than some sort
of Zope5.

> I see Zope 5 being a combination of Zope 2 and Zope 3, keeping
> the best of both.

Doesn't that mean we only keep Zope3? ;-)

> And given some of the discussion over the last month or two, I think
> this is pretty important.

Yup.