[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Two visions

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Feb 28 12:21:12 EST 2006

Gary Poster wrote:
[snip]
> On Feb 28, 2006, at 10:06 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>> I think focusing on one app server and a dedicated set of libraries
>> would be a good alternative to two concurring app servers.
>
> ...if the single app server is based on acquisition,  __bobo_traverse__
> and friends, objectValues and friends, ZCatalog,  and so on, I'd rather
> have two, thanks: at least I can have one I like.

I can see where Philipp is coming from: yes, it would be good to
collapse the Zope 2 and Zope 3 communities into one if that frees up
more development resources and lets us do less duplicate work.

This cannot however be done by big steps or mandate or changing names,
and this is where I think I disagree with Philipp somewhat.

We're on the right track already. The communities are merging into a
single community. Just compare today with the situation just one year
ago - massive changes everywhere, and positive ones.

Merging communities can be done by making it easier for people from the
communities to work together (for instance by working on Five) and by
evangelizing (you can use Zope 3 in Zope 2, today). It's fairly subtle
work and it takes a long time. Philipp is doing great on all these
fronts and without him Five wouldn't be where it is today.

I just don't understand how the current zed/Zope 5 proposals would make
everything go faster or be easier or be clearer...

Regards,

Martijn