[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] December release post-mortem

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jan 18 11:01:02 EST 2006

Christian Theune wrote:
> As Tim said one day: You need to work/develop on windows on a daily
> basis to be able to cut releases for it.
>
> I'd second this for any platform actually.

This is why it is critical that the process be automated.
This is why distutils is so great, as far as it goes.  It is also
great because there is a large community working on it and extending
it.  Phillip Eby and others are doing some great work with eggs and
making them work on a variety of platforms.  What distutils lacks
is a well thought out model for manageing applications rather than
libraries.  We need to take this to the next step, but we need to
work through the distutils SIG, or work with other projects
(e.g. Paste Deploy) rather than inventing this ourselves.

Jim