[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] December release post-mortem

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Jan 19 07:09:14 EST 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 18 January 2006 11:27, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>
>>> How do you assemble releases 'from releases'? I'm not sure I
>>> understand that. You mean make a Zope 2 release using a Zope 3
>>> release?
>>
>> I'll note that SchoolTool greatly benefits from the current release
>>  building. We simply include all the Zope 3 dependencies in our
>> dependency list and build the release. We can decide to include
>> Zope 3 dependencies or not. Overall I think zpkg is a great win and
>> whatever we do next should not remove those features.
>
> I agree that dependency based releases -- and development is great.
> I think eggs are a lot farther along that zpkg. (Eggs weren't around
> when we started zpkg.)  If eggs work out, as I hope they will, I'd
> like to stop work on zpkg and just use eggs.

Sure, I support dependencies and separating out Zope into sub projects,
I'm just listing an additional use case: the repository state should be
similar to release state, to avoid confusion for developers as well as
people who want to become developers.

I.e. a developer should have the ability to easily see the same (or
similar) code layout, dependencies, etc, as in a release, and someone
familiar with a release should see the same (or similar) code layout,
dependencies, if they become a developer.

Another use case, probably mostly in the context of Five, it's nice to
have an inclusive release of Zope 3 in Zope 2. The goal of reducing the
amount of code included in Zope 2 sounds nice in theory, but it stops
Five developers from exposing Zope 3 code in Zope 2 because it simply
isn't there in a particular release. It is *nice* to have all of Zope 3
included in Zope 2. I don't want to lose that good thing in the rush to
minimize dependencies.

Regards,

Martijn