[Zope-dev] 2.9.4? reStructuredText support?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Jul 8 09:53:47 EDT 2006

On Jul 8, 2006, at 9:17 AM, Andreas Jung wrote:

>> On Jul 8, 2006, at 8:12 AM, Andreas Jung wrote:
>>

>>> --On 8. Juli 2006 07:45:01 -0400 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Only if there is no other option. Tres' patch seems to resolve this
>>> issue and with further testing there is no need to remove the
>>> functionality.
>>
>> "Seems" isn't good enough. It's not even close.  The hot fix last
>> fall
>> "seemed" to fix the problem. :(
>
> That's is still not an argument. I'll agree with you when we are
> all convinced that we are all unable to fix this issue if a
> reasonable effort or when come to conclusion that Docutils is a
> problem by itself...sorry, but we are not  at that point so far.

>>> No :-)
>>
>> Wrong. Sorry, I'll invoke Pope if I have to.
>
> Sorry Jim, that's weak. See above. I'll accept the decision of the
> Pope as long as it is comprehensible...so far it is not.

Maybe you aren't listening.

>> Tres came up with this sledge hammer because he has no confidence
>> in people's willingness to test and implement this feature properly.
>
> I am fine with the sledge-hammer. I've never claimed that we need
> to support file insertion and raw support in any way. We don't
> need, we can kick it.
> But removing or disabling a feature because we are possibly
> incompetent would be just ridiculous.

I can live with the sledge hammer for Zope 2.  All I ask for is tests.

If there are tests for each way of invoking reST through the web that
verifies that file-inclusion isn't enabled, then it's alright with me
if the sledge hammer is used to make the tests pass.  I won't
tolerate an untested feature with so much security risk.

I'll also note that the sledgehammer might not itself be safe in the
presense of the various reload products for Zope 3.  Would Tres'
patch be defeated by reloading docutils.parsers.rst.directives.misc?
Is there a chance that a reload product
could reload this module and undo the fix?  I dunno.  It is worrisome.

You seem to be the only one championing TTW reST?  Are you unwilling
to write the tests necessary to keep it?  If so, it's hard to have
any sympathy for your desire to keep it.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org