[Zope-dev] 2.9.4? reStructuredText support?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jul 19 10:26:18 EDT 2006

On Jul 16, 2006, at 7:29 PM, Richard Jones wrote:

> On Sunday 09 July 2006 22:56, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Whoever integrated reST didn't even read the documentation, much less
>> the code.
>
> FWIW.
>
> The ZReST product was originally released by me around 2002 -
> before those
> directives existed. According to the docutils HISTORY file, the
> directives
> themselves added in 2003. The *warning* about them was added in 2004.
> The configuration to *disable* them appears to have been added in
> 2005.

Fair enough.  This points out that we need to be as vigilant when
updating
3rd-party packages as when initially using them.  I understand that
you didn't
upgrade distutils in Zope.

Please understand, and this is directed to everyone in this
discussion,  it
is not my goal to blame individuals.  *We* made a mistake and we need
to learn
from it.  We can't learn from mistakes and stop repeating them unless
we admit them.

We made a number of mistakes in this episode.  We exposed (an update
to) a 3rd-party library TTW without doing enough homework to be
reasonably
assured that it was safe.  When we found a problem, we didn't write
tests to
assure that it was solved sufficiently.  Again, I don't want to get
on anyone's case,
but I want to make sure that we follow processes that will reduce the
chance
of a repeat of something like this.

> What the hell docutils was doing turning this feature on by default...

I don't think that TTW entry of reST was a use case for docutils.  In
it's
normal usage, it makes sense for these to be enabled IMO.  The onus
should be on us, when we decide to expose something TTW to make
sure that the power we're exposing is controlled.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org