[Zope-dev] Re: Time-based releases a good idea?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Jun 14 09:17:28 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 14:09 +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> No matter what period we decide on it will always be too short for some
> and too long for others. With the current setup the deprecation period
> is a year, which seems like a decent middle ground.

A year suits me fine if it were the *actual* deprecation period, rather
than the six-month deprecation cycle as is the case with zLOG and the
eight-month deprecation cycle as is the case with 'methods'.

Currently adding a deprecation in a release doesn't automatically equate
to a year's grace period, because people seem to assume they can
deprecate a feature in a very late point release of the current stable
branch and deprecate it exactly two releases later.  Which in a
time-based cycle is always shorter than a year, because the point
release of the stable branch happens concurrently with development of
the next major release.

- C