[Zope-dev] Re: Time-based releases a good idea?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 09:59:18 EDT 2006

On 6/14/06, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:
> A year suits me fine if it were the *actual* deprecation period, rather
> than the six-month deprecation cycle as is the case with zLOG and the
> eight-month deprecation cycle as is the case with 'methods'.

zLOG got deprecated for the use of logging in 2.7 if I remember
correctly. In 2.8 zLOG became just a wrapper around the logging
module. The warnings were not added until 2.9.1, which was released in
February. It will be removed in 2.11.0, scheduled for January I think?
It's a shame warnings weren't added before, but before we started with
the time based releases, deprecations were done via the CHANGE log.
:-)

The OFS.Application thingies have been deprecated for ages. This is
just like with zLOG, but worse, it has been deprecated but we didn't
add any kind of deprecation warnings AT ALL back in the stone age. :)
The warnings has been there since 2.8.5, which indeed is only half a
year. So maybe that should not be removed until 2.11.0, then?