[Zope-dev] Re: Time-based releases a good idea?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Jun 14 10:48:36 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 15:42 +0200, yuppie wrote:
> If you calculate the deprecation cycle from the day the warning was
> added I agree it is too short.

Whew, I'm not nuts then. ;-)

>  Reading the sources I had the impression
> that the fact there was no warning for the deprecated feature was a bug
> and I did consider my change a bugfix. Without warning it was already
> deprecated for many years.

That is the case for meta_types and __ac_permissions__ but I think you
mistook the fact that "methods" followed a comment that said "handle
old-style product data" for the fact that it was deprecated.  But it
never was officially deprecated, nor did it ever need to be.  It just
*happened* to follow that comment, lumped in with meta_types and
__ac_permissions__.  The deprecation warning is nonsensical there.
"please use registerClass instead" is a non-sequitur as a deprecation
warning, because registerClass will not help you do what "methods" does.

> I'm fine with extending the deprecation period by one more release cycle.

That's fine for __ac_permissions__ and meta_types, but can't we just
leave 'methods' in?  IMO, deprecating it was a simple mistake, and
that's OK.  We don't need to make another mistake by actually removing
it for the sake of being consistent with the earlier mistake.

- C