[Zope-dev] Re: Time-based releases a good idea?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Jun 15 11:23:32 EDT 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 10:09 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> Well, except that the actual, formal deprecation of zLOG finally made
> everyone aware of the logging module and a few things like logging
> levels that no one had thought about till then. So I wouldn't say the
> benefit was exactly zero... whether it ways out agianst the costs I
> don't think I can say at this point.

If you can't say, it means you're not sure if there's a clear win,
and if thats the case I think you gotta be on the side of not
removing it under Hippocratic rules.

>> For what it's worth, maybe there's some middle ground here.  Just
>> because something is deprecated doesn't need it needs to have a hard
>> date to be removed.  Why don't we just have the first use of zLOG in
>> each module generate a deprecation warning and just leave it there
>> forever?
>
> Or make it available optionally. After all, it's just a Python module.
> Perhaps we should put up the latest version from Zope 2.10 as a
> separate
> egg on the cheeseshop. People can then just ez_install it if their
> product still happens to need it...

Yeah.  Or just leave it in. ;-)

>> There are reasons we are bothering to change the Zope 2 APIs at this
>> point instead of all of us moving to Zope 3 wholesale.  One reason is
>> because we've figured out that in the real world backwards
>> compatibility
>> and familiarity are primary drivers for take-up of technology.  Let's
>> please not forget that again, and let's be careful.
>
> I agree. This is why we need watch each other's steps and discuss the
> things. This has coined the term "checkin police" in Zope 3. We
> already
> have it in Zope 2, but somehow it has failed this time... This whole
> discussion has uncovered lots of stacked up frustration, it seems; it
> could have been held a lot earlier, I guess (from both sides).

Yup, see my mea culpa in my first message to this thread.  I don't
like needing to take a hard line on these issues, and I gotta admit
to being extremely sympathetic to wanting to rip out all of this
stuff in a perfect world, but my first allegiance is to my customers,
who have completely different goals than the people who want rapid
change.

- C