[Zope-dev] Re: Stable / Development branches?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Fri Jun 16 04:28:30 EDT 2006

--On 16. Juni 2006 09:12:36 +0100 Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
wrote:

> Even numbered releases are "feature add" releases:
> 2.12.0 - "okay, lets start adding features"
> 2.12.1 - "whoops, fixed bug x"
> 2.12.2 - "added feature y"
> 2.12.3 - "whoops, fixed bug z"
> 2.12.0 - "added feature z"
> 2.14.1 - "whoops, fixed bug a"
>
> Odd numbered releases are "stable" releases:
> 2.13.0 - "we're happy that all features up to y are stable"
> 2.13.1 - "whoops, fixed bug z"
> 2.13.2 - "whoops, fixed bug a"

-10

I don't know what that model should solve?

We must distinguish between the deprecation period for feature  and the
maintenance period of release. Both a currently one year. I have no problem
with supporting releases for longer than one yr. In practice it is no big
effort to apply patches too older branches as well (e.g. to keep 2.8 longer
alive)...I think we *should* support older branches for longer than one yr
since Zope 2 is used in large installatioins and ppl expect a certain
amount of maintenance over a period of time. I see little reason not to
fulfill this requirement..making a bugfix release from time to time is not
really the problem. As an example a lot of Plone 2.1 site run on Zope 2.8
and we should support Zope 2.8 in a reasonable way as long as necessary
(basically
until Plone 2.5 on Zope 2.9 is adopted by most sites). U

My recommendation:

1 yr deprecation period as it is now
1 yr + X maintenance period for older branches.

Andreas

Web: www.zopyx.com - Email: info at zopyx.com - Phone +49 - 7071 - 793376