[Zope-dev] Re: Proposal: Scrap zpkg for Zope2 releases

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Jun 24 14:03:18 EDT 2006

Tres Seaver wrote:
>>> I believe that the extra flexibility which zpkg is intended to provide
>>> (dependency-based subset distributions, primarily) would be better
>>> served by moving Zope to use eggs,

Where are the eggs, btw?

> I will be ready shortly to merge this branch to the 2.9 branch, the 2.10
> branch, and the Zope2 trunk.  Here is how I have tested it so far:
>
>   - All unit tests pass, with the same count (and deprecation warnings!)
>     in my sandbox for this change as for the 2.9 head.

This doesn't surprise me. After all, you just tarred up the SVN export.
zpkg actually only tars up what is explicitly selected to be released.
Your tarball contains a few things that haven't been in Zope 2.9.x
releases before, e.g.:

  - zope.app.boston
  - zope.app.catalog
  - zope.app.css
  - zope.app.dav
  - zope.app.debugskin
  - zope.app.demo
  - zope.app.fssync
  - zope.app.homefolder
  - zope.app.i18nfile
  - zope.app.interpreter
  - zope.app.locking
  - zope.app.module
  - zope.app.observable
  - zope.app.pluggableauth
  - zope.app.presentation
  - zope.app.pythonpage
  - zope.app.recorder
  - zope.app.schemacontent
  - zope.app.securitypolicy
  - zope.app.server
  - zope.app.sqlexpr
  - zope.app.styleguide
  - zope.app.twisted
  - zope.app.versioncontrol
  - zope.app.wfmc
  - zope.app.winservice
  - zope.app.workflow
  - zope.app.zopetop

Most of these

a) have either never released even in Zope 3 (this is the majority),

b) are sample things (like css, styleguide, demo, etc.) that are (for
the most part) bitrotting in zope.app

c) are so much core to Zope 3 that they don't make sense in Zope 2 (such
as twisted, securitypolicy)

While b) and c) might not do much harm, the fact that things in a) *are*
released now *does* make a new feature. Even worse, most of the things
in category a) *should not* be release because they're considered broken
or unstable. I agree that zope.app is horribly trashed with junk that
doesn't belong in there (probably doesn't even belong inside the Zope 3
tree), but that's how it is right now. Just dumping it in a tarball
isn't the way to go...

If it had been that trivial to NOT use zpkg back then, I certainly
wouldn't have considered it at all...

Philipp