[Zope-dev] Database mounting problem in 2.9.3?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Jun 26 09:16:07 EDT 2006

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote at 2006-6-23 17:12 +0100:
>> Get this error on startup with one project I've just moved to Zope 2.9.3:
>>
>>   File "/usr/local/zope/2.9.3/lib/python/Zope2/Startup/datatypes.py",
>> line 175, in createDB
>>     return ZODBDatabase.open(self, databases)
>>   File "/usr/local/zope/2.9.3/lib/python/ZODB/config.py", line 105, in open
>>     databases=databases)
>>   File "/usr/local/zope/2.9.3/lib/python/ZODB/DB.py", line 262, in __init__
>>     raise ValueError("database_name %r already in databases" %
>> ValueError: database_name 'packed' already in databases
>
> You see here the new (ZODB 3.6) multi-database support.
>
>    Something tries to ad the database "packed" to a
>    multi-database that already contains a "packed".
>
> This might happen when you mount the same storage at different places
> into your hierarchy.

Indeed, and this is a perfectly legitimate use case...

I have a Packed.fs and an UnPacked.fs:

/content from Packed.fs is mounted to /content of UnPacked.fs
/Catalog from Packed.fs is mounted to /Catalog of UnPacked.fs

...for this project, content is managed elsewhere and often imported
into Zope, so packing very often is a necessity.

Unpacked.fs contains code, user information, etc, which should never be
packed.

So, two questions:

1. Is this a ZODB or a Zope bug? (ie: which collector do I file this in?)

2. Given that this is an exception being raised rather than a log
message, how come everything works fine even after the exception has
been reported?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk