[Zope-dev] Re: characters allowed in object IDs

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Fri Mar 10 06:33:16 EST 2006

yuppie wrote:
> Hi!
>

> As of Zope 2.8.2 (http://svn.zope.org/?rev=38738&view=rev) the '@'
> character is allowed in object IDs.
>
> Zope 3 does not allow object IDs starting with '@' because those names
> are reserved for views.
>
> Five makes Zope 3 style views available in Zope 2, so IDs starting with
> '@' should be disallowed in Zope 2 as well.
>
> If there are no objections I'll fix that in Zope 2.8, 2.9 and trunk.

There are several use cases for using an email as the user id.
Especially when integrating to legacy systems.

So http://localhost/plone/Members/name@example.com should be legal.
Otherwise it is a pita. (Until it gets ok to it in Plone I have a
monkeypatch for Plone that allows this, and it's pretty simple.)

If you just want to prohibit "id.startswith('@')" it is fine by me.
But prohibiting "id.find('@') != -1" would suck.

I cannot at the top of my head think of a case where @name is used...
But if anyone else knows about it. Please speak up.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science