[Zope-dev] IMO ZClasses should stay

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Fri Mar 24 11:50:40 EST 2006

--On 24. März 2006 11:25:53 -0500 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> On the subject of deprecation, for the record, I think removing
> ZClasses is a mistake.  They have legitimate uses.

I don't think that ZClasses have real use in the current Zope world except
for legacy code. Most people with a solid background write filesystem-based
code. That's the official recommended and announced way since years. When
look at the Plone world then ppl use Archetypes. Newbies starting with Zope
3 write Python code. Through-the-web scripters can write their applications
using ZPT, Python scripts etc. Only ppl with legacy code or ppl unwilling
to migrate their apps to a filesystem-based implementation are still using
ZClasses. None of us is announcing ZClasses as solution to develop wit Zope.

> They have major
> flaws too.  It would help if we would more clearly document their
> limitations and pitfalls, rather than get rid of them, at least
> until we have something better,

When I proposed the deprecation of ZClasses almost all vote were
pro-deprecation votes.

Do we need something better? Can't ppl solve their problems with the
solutions mentioned above?

Your time and our time is very much limited. We should spend this time
on useful Zope projects and not in supporting ancient concepts that don't
help the majority of the Zope developers.

Andreas
   -   Andreas Jung            ZOPYX Ltd. & Co KG                        -
  -   E-mail: info at zopyx.com   Web: www.zopyx.com, www.zopyx.de         -